Music and Memory

Just  before the 9:00 a.m. service at  St. Boniface Church, Siesta Key, Sarasota, FL on  3rd Nov 2013 our fabulous parish organist ( Barbara Roth-Donaldson) played an organ adaption of the part of Edward Elgar's "Enigma Variations" known as "Nimrod"

It's lovely music on its own.

However as I heard it  as a fabulous organ prelude in church  two things happened.

1. I smiled for joy at Elgar's gorgeous melody   and

2. My memories took me back to 1968 and to  the joys of B.B.C. radio

It was in that year that  B.B.C. radio  (not television) broadcasted (over almost half a year) an adaptation of John Galsworthy's "Forsyth Saga".

I distinctly (?) remember that my Dad, my oldest (and fabulous) sister Maureen, and I listened in every week. Maybe Mum also joined us.

The theme music for that B.B.C. radio adaptation of Galsworthy's novels was   -   yes you have guessed it  -  the Nimrod section from the Enigma variations.

..............................................................................................


Whoop-de-doo to Barbara Roth Donaldson for the  lovely music which  took me back into the happy memory land of B.B.C radio and family life  of some 45 years ago.

Comments

  1. I cry floods of tears every year when watching the Rememberance Day broadcast from the Cenotaph when this is played. Truly Great music!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"