Mood and Food

I "got out of bed on the wrong side this morning", as a result of which I was in a foul mood.  There was no particular reason for this (apart from my mercurial temperament).

So bad was my "humour"  that I decided not to pray.  "There" I said to God "that'll learn you". 

She smiled and said "Oh thank God  (wait a minute, I am God!) -  that's one less boring human to deal with".

My mood had not improved by 11:00, so I did the right thing.  I walked my dog (the ever-gracious-Penne); took a refreshing shower; and  ate a good lunch -  baked wild salmon, bean sprouts and sliced tomato.

After these activities I had no good reason to stay in a lousy mood.

Good Food is a blessing.  It feeds the body, and it refreshes the soul.

(1) I get excellent bread from my local Publix supermarket. It is made by Eureka Bread Company from Fullerton CA.

It is SO GOOD  ( see http://www.eurekabakingcompany.com/ )

I am especially fond of the "Grainiac Organic Bread" (no artificial colours, flavours,  or preservatives. No high fructose corn syrup. zero trans-fat).

(It's too bad that it has to be imported from California - causing a bad carbon footprint).

(2) The "somewhat ethical" chain store called "Target" is a great source for (frozen) wild Alaskan Salmon, at a decent price. (If you've eaten wild salmon you will understand that farmed salmon is an entirely inferior product).  Target also has just about the best rib-eye, sirloin and T-Bone steaks you could hope to eat.  I am told that Target keeps a close eye on the farms from which it "sources" beef.

(3)  My utterly favourite chain "Trader Joes" (is it a store or is it a cult?)  is such a great place that I have to restrict my visits to once a week, lest I should drift into impulse purchases).

Trader Joes has been selling the best ever cheddar cheese from Vermont.   This  cheese, made from raw (not pasteurised) milk has been  aged for six years. But * "eee by gum"  it is good.

It has a rich and deep flavour.  It has a great texture unlike the mass produced Vermont cheddars.

It's pricey ($9.99 per pound) but I'd rather have a sliver of this raw milk and aged cheese from Vermont than a chunk of mass-produced  and glutinous factory cheeses.

* Re "eee by gum" (northern English colloquialism)  see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAJBIr1ZO4A


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"