Self interest or altruism

My 92 year old WWII era Marine Betty had a bad fall last Thursday.

I was walking around the pond when I saw the ambulance drive away from her home/.

As luck would have it, her neighbours Judy and Linda were on the scene, so they were able to fill me in on the details.

This meant that I could call one of Betty's sons (he lives in Colorado)  and alert him to his Mum's accident.

Turns out that Betty had broken her right hip.

I saw her in the hospital on Friday, a few hours before her surgery,  She was a bit "out of it" due to the effect of pain killers.

I then e-mailed her local friends to tell them about Betty's accident.

Her Friday evening surgery went well.  She was under the knife for just about an hour.

Saturday dawned and I learned the surgery had been pleasing to the surgeon.

I have been in constant contact with the Colorado son, with Betty's neighbours and with her friends.

I saw her today.  Despite severe pain, she was her usual funny and feisty self.   She had undertaken two short walks -  less than 24 hours after surgery -  go figure. She will most likely move to a rehab. centre as soon as Monday.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So, here's the deal:

Has my ministry with Betty and her circle been a matter of my care for Betty and my altruism?

Or has it been a matter of my self-interest? (I love to be at the centre of things - e.g.in this case the point person).

It's most likely been  a bit of both.

That being the case I venture to suggest that all the calls for volunteer lay-ministry in the Church  should be couched in terms which appeal to a person's altruism and to  her/his altruism/

Comments

  1. You care because you care, don't beat yourself up for caring!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"