Poor ole Penne - her Atopy

My dear and sweet Penne has endured skin and itch problems for many months.  We've had three visits to the Vet in recent months - the most recent being today.

I've tried some "folk" remedies  ( such as Flax Seed Oil in her food, and massaging Apple Cider Vinegar into her fur), but to no avail.

She's lost a lot of fur (bare skin in many places), and she's been clearly uncomfortable.,

The Vet  believes that her problem is chronic.  In technical terms it is described thus:



"Atopic dermatitis is an inflammatory, chronic skin disease associated with allergies. In fact, this is the second most common allergic skin disease in dogs. These allergic reactions can be brought on by normally harmless substances like grass, mold spores, house dust mites, and other environmental allergens."


My vet has prescribed a regime of three drugs (Cephalexin, Predinsone, and Hydroxizine) to be administered for  two weeks, after which we'll have a follow up visit.

He asserted that there is a new "miracle" drug which brings almost instant relief, but that the drug is so efficacious that the manufacturer ( a subsidiary of Pfizer)  cannot keep up with demand. 

 It's called  APOQUEL® (oclacitinib tablet).  The Vet hopes that he will be able to get supplies of the drug by the time of our next appointment.

In the meantime I hope that the current "three drug" regime will being some relief and comfort to my dear  Penne.

I shelled out $135 for her drugs today.  Of course I was glad to do this for the sake of my darlin' dog. 

 But I had to think "wouldn't $135 pay for very many drugs for suffering humans in many impoverished parts of our planet?"

 Médecins Sans Frontières anyone?   It needs a donation from me.







---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


P.S  

But Puleeze!



PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE   DO NOT send me your favourite folk "cure"  for "Atopic dermatitis"  unless you are a qualified Veterinarian





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"