Mulch, Cod and Dog

The soil in this part of Florida is not good.  Dig for about two inches and then there is sand.

So it's not fertile soil for annuals or for flowering perennials.  I plant various shrubs, especially drought resistant Jatrophas or Mexican Fire Bushes.


Jatropha

Mexican Firebush


Mulch is important to prevent weeds and to retain moisture.

I hired F from Mexico (the Man Friday for my neighbours J and J for more than fifteen years) to spread some mulch for me todayIt's back breaking work.

Mulch (with my shadow)

Darn, he is such a hard worker. He did what I did not want to do.

Thank goodness for immigrants. They  add more to our common good than they take away!

--------------------------------------------------------

I was off to Sarasota's Fruitville Library today to borrow a book



Here is a spiel about it






























The Cod. Wars have been fought over it, revolutions have been triggered by it, national diets have been based on it, economies and livelihoods have depended on it. To the millions it has sustained, it has been a treasure more precious that gold. This book spans 1,000 years and four continents. From the Vikings to Clarence Birdseye, Mark Kurlansky introduces the explorers, merchants, writers, chefs and fisherman, whose lives have been interwoven with this prolific fish. He chronicles the cod wars of the 16th and 20th centuries. He blends in recipes and lore from the Middle Ages to the present. In a story that brings world history and human passions into captivating focus, he shows how the most profitable fish in history is today faced with extinction.


I could not find it in the stacks so a wonderful Librarian helped me.  As we walked back to the check-out I said "I will take this book about Cod home, and then fry it."

Oh did she chuckle!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

On our final long walk for the day Zion stepped out with vigour.


He had seen his wee friend Pingo.


What a charming encounter























.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"