A visit to the Moving Pictures

I rarely go to the Cinema.  

I think that I have seen no more than five movies since I moved to Sarasota almost twelve years ago.

Until today the most recent time was in 2011/12 when I went with my late friend Ben to see "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo". By mutual agreement Ben and I left about half way through 'cause we couldn't deal with the violence.

But for once I wanted to see a movie, so off I went this afternoon with my pals Bill and Patrick to view "The Insult".




The film was made in Lebanon and in the Arabic Language (with excellent sub-titles in English).

I've had the blessing of visiting Lebanon there to stay with my friends Hani and Rula Asfour.  Hani is a Christian with Palestinian heritage.  Rula is a Lebanese Christian.  I had a most splendid time there:  It was a delight to be with the Asfours; to enjoy the legendary and gorgeous Middle Eastern Hospitality;  and to see a fair bit of this tiny Country.

So "The Insult" piqued my interest. It focuses on the issues of honour and insult, especially  when that personal/communal sense of honour is perceived to have been violated by "the other/outsider".

Here is the New York Times review of the film: read it please, at least to get the plot.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/10/movies/the-insult-review-lebanon.html?referrer=google_kp


I do not agree with every word of this review (but who am I to question the N.Y. Times!).

I have a feeling that my Lebanese Christian friends might see the film as being more friendly to Palestinian (Muslim) refugees than to Lebanese Christians.

But the themes are important wherever we live. They have to do with our prides in our history and ancestry, and the fear of the outsider - the unknown. It's not just a film about the tangled history of Lebanon.  It is a film about us.

I am glad that I saw it, and I would love to hear from friends who have seen it, especially those who are Lebanese, or Palestinian, or Christian, or Muslim, or who have lived in Lebanon.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"