Our brother Steve, two years on





My brother Stephen died suddenly and unexpectedly two years ago today  (June 22nd), aged 63.

The shock of his untimely death has been a wee bit mitigated by the passing of these twenty four months, but our grief and sadness persists, and will always persist.

"Our Steve" as we always called him was the least complicated and most direct of the five Povey men.  What we saw and knew was a dear brother who was utterly without guile or pretense, (and he had a wicked sense of humour).

His rai·son d'ê·tre was pure and unalloyed.  He worked,  lived and loved for the very best interests of Angela his wife, of Lee and Nicola their children, and of their grandchildren. 

Their grief two years on has not been smoothed by the sands of time.  Why should it be?

Steve had a particular close friendship with our brother Martyn.  

For a while he did not know quite what to make of me, a somewhat snobby brother who was nine years older than he,  and a  Priest to boot. 

But as the years passed by he and I grew to love, trust and respect each other --  thank goodness.

I have tender memories of the time when Steve, Martyn and I spent a short time together in New York City.

Au revoir dear brother Steve.

----------------------------------------------------------

When I got back home after Steve's funeral I found refuge (rather than comfort) in a video  of "Somewhere along the Road" as recorded by Steeleye Span.

I still watch it often.  I commend it to you.

https://youtu.be/Zk8YB3lMmms


Here are the Lyrics:  ( I cannot read them without getting teary).

Somewhere along the road
Someone waits for me
Beyond the present storms that blow
Waiting patiently


No secrets held in an open heart
A spirit that soars over mountains
Somewhere along the road
Someone waits for me


Somehow a guiding light
Always shows the way
To those who lose their way by night
Searching for the day


A day away from happiness
Tomorrow will bring a new sunrise
Somewhere along the road
Someone waits for me

Sometimes when winds are still
Unexpectedly
Perhaps beyond this silent hill
A voice will come to me


Raise your eyes and see my world
Raise your voice and sing out
Somewhere along the road
Someone waits for me


Somewhere along the road
Someone waits for me
Beyond the present storms that blow
Waiting patiently


No secrets held in an open heart
A spirit that soars over mountains
Somewhere along the road
Someone waits for me

Somewhere along the road
Someone waits for me








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"