Not "Figgy Pudding" - but delicious in September

I grew up knowing figs only in their dried form, as a Christmas treat. I liked them.




All well and good until much later in life I discovered fresh figs



I bought some last Thursday knowing that they would not stay good for ever, and knowing that I could eat a pound or more without thinking.

I curbed my appetite, but by this morning the figs were beginning to show signs of  skin mould.  I washed them under running water, removed the stalks, and stewed them gently.  If I'd had an orange in the house I would have added a bit of orange juice and zest to make a real fig compote.

As it was I had the stewed figs with some roasted slices of pork belly for lunch.


So good!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"