A very great man of "the greatest generation"

I rejoice in the memory of Kenneth D Holmes of Cambridge, MA who passed from this life on 30th March 2019.  

----------------------------------------------------------------



Here is how his son-in-law Derrick Z. Jackson (former columnist for the Boston Globe) speaks of him.

A quiet, determined patriot, father and community pillar departed Earth after 94 rich years,  my wife Michelle's father, Kenneth D. Holmes. Purple Heart on WWII Italian Front (Buffalo soldier). First African American city councilor in Medford, MA. Helped charter his area NAACP. Working class metallurgist and post office worker who put three kids through Harvard, Princeton and Dartmouth. He passed away peacefully Saturday evening after being surrounded by family. He was my No. 1 reader in my years at the Boston Globe, always ending his voice messages with: "Keep Up the Good Work." The best father-in-law a son-in-law could have. Photo is from the West Medford Elders Photo Project


-------------------------------------------------------------------

jmp continues Here am I with Ken in 2004

Honouring Ken at St James's, Cambridge, MA. 6th June 2004 commemoration of the 60th anniversary of D Day

----------------------------
It was one of the rich privileges of my life to know Ken, his wife Mary,  and his daughter Dr. Michelle Holmes (together with her husband Derrick Jackson and their sons Omar and Tano Holmes) during my brief Rectorship at St. James's (2000-2006).

Ken was a man of God and a Godly man.  All who knew him will remember his great gift of encouragement to others in all and many endeavours.  I think of him as a Barnabas type Christian -  Barnabas who is remembered in the bible as a "son of encouragement". Acts 4:36 

I believe that Ken's middle name is David - who according to the scripture was "a man after God's own heart".

Kenneth D. Holmes - a son of encouragement and a man after God's own heart.  AMEN

I last saw him in a nursing home in Lexington MA when I was in Massachusetts in December 2016.  What a joy!  "Blest be the tie that binds our hearts in Christian love!"

And of course I saw Michelle, Derrick, Omar and Tano when I was in Austin TX the other week to celebrate Tano's marriage to Clarissa Martinez.  Omar and I had a nice conversation about his beloved grand father Ken.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"