Back at home on August 29th

Home in this case is St. Stephen's Parish, Pittsfield MA. where I was the Rector between 1984 and 2000; in some ways the best years of my ministerial life.  

 


My predecessor the Revd. Andrew Wisseman (later Bishop of Western Massachusetts)  and I each served for sixteen years.  There is a great deal to be said for long tenures.

I was at home  (on line) on Aug 29th 2020  for the funeral service for the Rt. Revd. John Tarrant.

John, the retired Bishop of South Dakota, was the Interim Rector at St. Stephen's. He died of a heart attack on August 23rd at age 69.He and I were colleagues who knew and respected each other 

In these COVID 19 days I could not be in Pittsfield for the funeral; but I could participate on line

So I watched the service.

 https://youtu.be/wz56PI1wLlA

The "Master of Ceremonies" is the current Bishop of Western Massachusetts, the Rt Revd. Douglas Fisher.

The Officiant is the Bishop of Long Island, the Rt. Revd. Lawrence Provenzano.  We were close colleagues in Western Mass when I was at St. Stephen's, and he was Rector at St. John's Church, North Adams.


The Preacher is the Rt, Revd Gordon P Scruton, retired Bishop of Western Mass., and my Bishop for four years before I moved to Cambridge, MA and a different Diocese.


Good sound and video:  Ain't  You Tube wonderful in COVID 19 days.

Apart from the deep sadness re John's death, I rejoiced in the glory and beauty of the sanctuary.


The building dates to 1889/90 and was dedicated by the then Bishop of Massachuetts, the Rt. Revd Phillips Brooks (writer of "Oh little town of Bethlehem).

The interior had been poorly lit and was somewhat gloomy  (with Cork floors -  not the greatest for acoustics).

The parish planned for an extensive fund raiser and remodeling, when their then Rector (Andrew Wissemann) became the Bishop.

Remarkably and wonderfully the parish decided to re model in the interim, thus not burdening the new Rector (who happened to be me) with the project in the first year of a new Ministry.  Yeah for vision and courage.

When I arrived in August 1984 the services were being held in the basement dining room, but we were back upstairs by Christmas.

Here are some photo's of my beloved former home



The decision to paint the east wall with that rich earth tone colour (and abstract decoration); together with the choice of diffused lighting created a bright, warm and inviting space.


Font by Mary Tillinghaust. 



Simeon and Anna by Mary Tillinghaust


Louis Comfort Tiffany


Saint Cecelia (Tiffany)
 


Top Right:- Pulpit by Mary Tillinghast with 12th Century Italian Panels

Old picture  -  Ivy now gone, thank goodness. On left, old City Hall;  Tower behind St. Stephen's, Old Fire Station.  Spire at end of street, First United Methodist Church


About Mary Elizabeth Tillinghast

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Elizabeth_Tillinghast


St. Stephen's, then and now

https://lostnewengland.com/2017/01/st-stephens-church-pittsfield-mass/





 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"