I Was Expecting a Routine Maintenance Visit for My A/C: I Got An Expert.

 

I have a contract with a local Air Con. Company which covers the cost of  twice yearly inspection.

My most recent maintenance call was slated for "between 8:00 a.m.  and Noon  yesterday" (Feb 4th)

You'll all know that if the visit is slated for a four hour window, it will never take place early, (in my case. I hoped for near to 8:00 a.m.)

Not a chance!  I hung around all morning.  It was 12:15  before the engineer arrived. Lucky me, He was no mere engineer.  He was an expert.


I soon discovered why he was late.  What was his expertise?  He was utterly loquacious;  a talker first class.

I discovered without asking that he is:

1. An expert on dog training.

2, An expert on photography.

3. An expert on finding fresh fish at the market.

4. An expert on developing the tourist trade between the Riverwalk in Bradenton FL and Anna Maria IslandIf these local references mean nothing to you, please do not fret.


As he chuntered on I had but one thought. "I want my lunch"

Sorry. Not one thought, but two.  

Mr. Maintenance/Expert  told me that I needed a new Ultra Violet Lamp (to prevent the build up of mold/mould in the a/c unit).Who was I to question this bit of expertise?

It was only after the new U.V. lamp had been installed  that Mr. Maintenance/Expert told me that the new lamp  cost $185.

$185 for a lamp which has but  a one year life expectancy?   

There is a rip-off somewhere here;  when our fear of mold/mould leads us to spend an exorbitant sum of $185 for one lamp.  

I was over a barrel. 

It's not that I could shop around to find a cheaper lamp. For my A/C  unit is on the roof of my Condo  -  not a good place for DYI maintenance. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"