Poetry. Wordsworth

The fundamentalists and evangelicals with whom I was raised, would have little truck with the Romantics. Wordsworth’s “Intimations of immortality” was a particular bete noir.



Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
The Soul that rises with us, our life's Star,
Hath had elsewhere its setting,
And cometh from afar:
Not in entire forgetfulness,
And not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory do we come
From God, who is our home:

“Trailing clouds of glory” indeed! But what about original sin! Harrumph.

But I grew to love at least one of Wordsworth’s poems, the one I had to learn by heart in High School. Here it is.



Composed upon Westminster Bridge, September 3, 1802

Earth has not anything to show more fair:
Dull would he be of soul who could pass by
A sight so touching in its majesty:
This City now doth, like a garment, wear
The beauty of the morning; silent, bare,
Ships, towers, domes, theatres, and temples lie
Open unto the fields, and to the sky;
All bright and glittering in the smokeless air.
Never did sun more beautifully steep
In his first splendour, valley, rock, or hill;
Ne'er saw I, never felt, a calm so deep!
The river glideth at his own sweet will:
Dear God! the very houses seem asleep;
And all that mighty heart is lying still!


Romantic indeed, but none the worse for that. Many cities have their own sweet beauty.

In Infants’ School we sang:

“The world looks very beautiful,
And full of joy to me.
The sun shines out in glory
On everything I see.
I know I will be happy
While in the world I stay.
For I will follow Jesus
All the way”.

My home City of Bristol is quite hilly, and from our back bedroom there was a wonderful panoramic view of the City, from Dundry in the south to Purdown in the north. Centre view was the physics laboratory for Bristol University in a building named “The Royal Fort”.

(It was on the site of a fort which Prince Rupert had built during the English Civil War, of which only the gatehouse remains today.)

The Royal Fort had a metallic roof. One day, when I was five or six, I took in the view and that roof glistened in the morning sun. I knew it. I got it.

“The world looks very beautiful,
And full of joy to me.
The sun shines out in glory
On everything I see”

Even on a physics lab!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"