Folks I have known: Tom and Winifred Bees.

When I left Fairfield Grammar School (High School) at aged 16 in 1960 I found work with Her Majesty’s Stationery Office at their Government Bookstore. We were then located in the old Fry’s Chocolate Factory, a marvellous red brick building in the Pithay.

When that building was demolished in the name of urban renewal, we moved to a new store under an overpass in Fairfax Street.

The Government Bookshop stocked printed copies of all Acts of Parliament, and the various Departmental documents which enforced those Acts; together with quasi-governmental publications, and ordnance survey maps. I had the “most responsible” (!) task of receiving mail and telephoned orders, and packing the books, pamphlets and leaflets to me mailed to our customers.

(On one occasion I forgot to put the telephone on hold, and proceeded to mimic the middle class “County Tory” with her “posh” accent. She heard the whole thing an complained bitterly to my Manager. I was given a reprimand, but the Manager could scarcely contain his own giggles as he “told me off”.)

Tom Bees was a colleague. He was married to Winifred, and they had one daughter, Lesley. Winifred was very ill and in the hospital - with an illness from which she might have died. I commiserated with Tom, and visited Winifred in the Bristol Royal Infirmary.

Winifred recovered - at length - and she and Tom became firm friends. They lived in a “prefab” in the nice Bristol suburb of Whitchurch. One on occasion I trolled over there by ‘bus with Mum, Dad and my five younger siblings for tea. My brothers had great and wild fun in the garden, playing with Tom and Winifred’s dog. To this day I cannot fathom the generous hospitality which Tom and Winifred gave to 8 Poveys!

Tom was promoted to the Government Bookshop in Cardiff, Wales, and I visited them there a couple of times.

They returned to Bristol when Tom retired.

But now I get to the point. Tom and Winfred are still alive and live in Brislington, Bristol.

Lesley is married to Roger. They have one child and live in the village of Pill.

And Tom, Winifred and I stay in touch. I visit them when I am in Bristol, telephone them a couple of times each year, and we exchange Christmas Cards.

Both are in their 80’s and quite frail. I rejoice in this 47 year friendship, rooted in that one year when Tom and I were co-workers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"