A New Year

Now that I am in the South, I ate black eyed peas this January 1st - a Southern custom for “Good Luck” in a New Year.

Legend has it that when Union troops scoured the South at the end of the Civil War, they disdained black eyed peas as not worth eating; thus leaving them in the fields as a staple for Southerners.

Some people eat them with Collard or Turnip Greens - the peas representing coins, and the greens representing “green backs” (dollar bills).

I ate mine (for breakfast!) with ham. Not as sweet as an English Muffin with Jam, but rich in protein!

And as the day progressed I was reminded of a great Sidney Carter song (below). Perfect for the New Year.







One more step along the world I go,
One more step along the world I go;
From the old things to the new
Keep me travelling along with you.

And it’s from the old I travel to the new;
Keep me travelling along with you.



Round the corner of the world I turn,
More and more about the world I learn;
All the new things that I see
You’ll be looking at along with me:

As I travel through the bad and good,
Keep me travelling the way I should;
Where I see no way to go
You’ll be showing me the way I know.

Give me courage when the world is rough,
Keep me loving when the world is tough;
Leap and sing in all I do,
Keep me travelling along with you.

You are older than the world can be,
You are younger than the life in me;
Ever old and ever new,
Keep me travelling along with you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"