First of two blogs for today. "Sounds" Part II

Our local Public Radio Station WUSF in Tampa, Fl plays a lot of classical music.

But it has a very limited vision and repertoire. We hear tons and tons of baroque music; a whole lot of Mozart; a bit of Beethoven here and there: but not much else.

Except for a fixation on Vaughan Williams, and on two of his pieces. We hear his variations on a theme by Tallis (a lovely piece), over and over again. And we hear Vaughan Williams’ “A lark ascending” at least three times each month.

It’s a great piece, and I like it. But not so often please!

So, WUSF played it again today. Which reminded me of something I intended to add to yesterday’s blog on “sound”.

When I was 16, or 20, or 22 (darned if I can remember when) the young people of my Peeb (Plymouth Brethren) circle too a trip to Minchinhampton Common in the Gloucestershire (UK) Cotswolds. It’s a gorgeous space.

It was probably on “August Bank Holiday Monday” in England. The sun shone in all her glory.

Then we heard it. A Skylark. Up and up it ascended, It sang its song as if for the last time. I stretched out on the grassy Common, conscious that I was listening to a rare, beautiful and endangered song.

‘Twas the only time I ever heard a Skylark. Few there are who hear it now, for this master-singer bird is dying out.

It was a sound which I cannot recall or recreate. But I remember how lovely it was, and how it enriched my soul.

Comments

  1. Go here for a recording of a skylark:

    http://www.avisoft.com/sounds.htm

    There are probably more on the internet, but this was one of the first that came up. I'll have to check out more of these birdsongs when I have time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"