Salmagundi

Salmagundi (look it up!)


A bracing early morning walk. Diet and exercise are working. I’ve shed 18lbs. Now comes the hard part. Another 10-12 lbs to go.

Prayer service at Res. House. “J” and “Grandpa” started to argue in the Chapel. 'Twas over nothing, just the sparring between an old buck and a young turk.

Half an hour to kill. Wandered the neighbourhood of Res. House.


Chatted with “T” on the street. She is an outrageous blonde with a sad heart. We talked about what it meant to have a smile which masks deep sadness. A meeting point for “T” and me.

Next was “M” who was in a chipper mood on the street. He is the eternal optimist.

Then I saw “G” sitting on the pavement. “How are things with your wife?” I asked. “Not good” was his reply “I think that I should give up”.

“I am sorry to hear that”, I said, “but whatever you do, don’t give up on your children”.

He grinned. “Sometimes”, he said, “the Lord sends me the right messenger at the right time”.

We shook hands as I whispered a prayer.

Back in Res. House I sat down with “J”. “What’s my name?” he asked. “J” I said.

“O.K” he countered “but what is my last name?”. I remembered it.

Confidence re-established, we chatted for ten minutes about his hopes and dreams.

Then it was off to “Sierra Station”, my favourite lunch place. I ate with David DeSmith, my former organist and assistant Priest in Pittsfield. David and his partner John are in SRQ for a brief post Easter vacation. (David is now Rector of a parish in New Jersey). It was a lovely reunion.

As I left my parking place, I creamed another car. “Oh shucks” I uttered, or some similar words.

I left a note with my name and phone number. The owner called me, with gratitude for my courtesy, at 4:00 p.m.

Now I am faced with a Car Insurance deductible, and increased premiums - all for want of attention.

I was in a hurry for an appointment with me excellent dermatologist , Dr. Stroble. I have been treating one side of my brow with a very expensive cream ($120 for 30 grams) to burn off some pre-cancerous spots.

She and I each agreed that the treatment was working well, so now I’ll treat the other side.

salmagundi

jmp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"