Pip, Squeak and what???!!!!

Memory is very strange. I woke up this morning with the words “Pip, Squeak and ???” in my mind

Within a few minutes I recalled the missing ??? It is Wilfred.

I’d been remembering the words “Pip, Squeak and Wilfred”. But I had no context for these words.


“Google” came to my rescue. “Pip, Squeak and Wilfred was a strip cartoon in the London Daily Mirror, through 1956. (I was 12 years old in 1956).

The Daily Mirror was a quality tabloid newspaper, always devoted editorially to the British Labour Party, and to working people.

Its motto was “Forward with the People”.

One of its great columnists was Richard Crossman M.P., who wrote a column under the title heading of “Cassandra”.

My parents were Labour, so the Mirror was the morning newspaper of their choice. I was a precocious reader, and would scan the Mirror each day even when I was 7 years old.

(I’d also read the local evening paper the “Bristol Evening Post” with its masthead statement: “The paper all Bristol asked for and helped to create”)

But why in the heck would I wake up this morning thinking about “Pip, Squeak and Wilfred”? I must have read that cartoon strip when I was a slip of a lad. Why did it come to mind this morning?!!

“Pip, Squeak, and Wilfred” also became monikers for World War I medals in Great Britain.

You may read some scanty information about the cartoon strip and the medals in the following links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pip,_Squeak_and_Wilfred




http://www.fylde.demon.co.uk/pip.htm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"