Archbishop of Canterbury (and others) fail.

These stories made my blood boil today:


http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-world-middleeast/20090404/ML.Iraq/


http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/apr/04/taliban-flogging-inquiry-pakistan





My blood boiled because of the regressive and hateful role of religion in our world.

I allowed it to boil since I have been a practitioner of the Christian religion for at least 50 of my (almost) 65 years.

I began my (lay) Christian preaching as a religious conservative in the Plymouth Brethren. Having moved away from their nonsense I became an Anglican yet was still theologically a conservative.

As I have grown up, so I have become more and more biblically astute and radical, both in theology and politics. I have learned to rejoice in the fuller inclusion of gay and lesbian Christians in the Episcopal Church leadership; and even more as I delight of the ministry of women as Deacons, Priests and Bishops.

But some in my Church (the Episcopal Church) are still opposed to the full inclusion of women, and gays and lesbians in the ministerial ranks.

And my “Mother Church” (the Church of England) still has its “knickers in a twist” (i.e. “Y-fronts” [BVD’s]) as to whether or not women should be Bishops.

So I must ask:

Is there any difference between the misogyny and homophobia of the Episcopal Church, and of the Church of England , and that which is found in parts of Islam?

I think not.

Therefore I cry shame upon the Archbishop of Canterbury (who knows better), and upon the American Bishops (who should know better) for your continued collusion with misogyny and with homophobia.



Please do not construe this as as attack upon Islam, but as a sad reflection on Angican Christianity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"