Listening and Dancing - the Church for which I long.

I have not written much in recent weeks about Resurrection House, the day shelter for homeless people at which I serve in SRQ.

This is mostly cos I have not been there so frequently in recent weeks.

We have been inundated with “snow birds” - winter residents of Florida - from such American States as Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Minnesota, and from the Province of Ontario in Canada. These snow-birds have been more than anxious to volunteer.

So much so, that in recent months Res House has had too many volunteers! So I have taken a wee break. These northerners will return to their homes quite soon, and then I’ll be back at my usual joyful tasks.

Nonetheless I have been at Res. House for the weekly prayer service which I facilitate. I never “preach at” our guests at this service (the whole fundamentalist world is more than active in “preaching at” them).

So I facilitate a quiet time in which my homeless friends can be certain that someone will listen to them, and not preach at them.

That’s my kind of Church: a place where listening is more important than preaching.

One of my most precious homeless friends, a woman named Tara, recently died. She was a lovely and feisty woman. She always insisted that I do a dance of celebration when I saw her.

I led her memorial service at Res. House, and I danced to celebrate her life and her passing.

What a Church we could be if we concentrated on listening and dancing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"