Billie Holiday and Edith Piaf - my mentors

I sometimes fear that I will lose my passion.

It’s a passion for justice, for the under-dog, for the poor and homeless, for battered women and for abused children.


It’s a passion which despises racism.


It’s a passion for the scandalous message of Jesus - e.g. “Blessed are the poor”

I am a passionate person. My passions  lead me to anger and to tears.

BUT - I sometimes fear that I will lose my passion.

I refresh it from various and sundry sources.


Oft times it’s from Edith Piaf (1915 – 1963), and Billie Holiday (1915-1959). It’s strange indeed that they were born in the same year. And that their lives had so many similar tragic dimensions.

I phantasise that they are both in my home for dinner - and that their conversation dumbfounds, teaches, and re-inspires me. What a conversation that would be!

YouTube helps me to re-connect with Edith Piaf and Billie Holiday. Check these YouTube links (you may have to cut and paste them).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I2a5AJUk7M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFRuLFR91e4

(Note how Billie Holiday’s minimal facial movements convey as much as do the words she sings.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"