Tuesday, 24 November 2009

Billie Holiday and Edith Piaf - my mentors

I sometimes fear that I will lose my passion.

It’s a passion for justice, for the under-dog, for the poor and homeless, for battered women and for abused children.


It’s a passion which despises racism.


It’s a passion for the scandalous message of Jesus - e.g. “Blessed are the poor”

I am a passionate person. My passions  lead me to anger and to tears.

BUT - I sometimes fear that I will lose my passion.

I refresh it from various and sundry sources.


Oft times it’s from Edith Piaf (1915 – 1963), and Billie Holiday (1915-1959). It’s strange indeed that they were born in the same year. And that their lives had so many similar tragic dimensions.

I phantasise that they are both in my home for dinner - and that their conversation dumbfounds, teaches, and re-inspires me. What a conversation that would be!

YouTube helps me to re-connect with Edith Piaf and Billie Holiday. Check these YouTube links (you may have to cut and paste them).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I2a5AJUk7M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFRuLFR91e4

(Note how Billie Holiday’s minimal facial movements convey as much as do the words she sings.)

No comments:

Post a Comment