On the cusp of 4th July 2010 (2) It's not only the military

I have a great respect for the men and women of the American Armed Forces. I claim two U.S. Navy Captains (both retired) as my friends, and I pray for, and correspond with two of my friends who are serving in Afghanistan.

I honour our military. I do so especially on Memorial Day and on Veteran’s Day.

Now comes Independence Day. It’s a fabulous day for Americans, one on which we pause to give thanks (to God) for our independence and freedoms.

It’s a day on which I always read the Declaration of Independence.

But it irks me when I am told that the only defenders of liberty are the good women and men of our Armed Forces. I thank goodness for them...


... but I also thank goodness for the poets, preachers, philosophers, politicians (yes politicians), playwrights and publishers who have worked to secure our liberty.

I thank goodness for the union leaders, civil rights martyrs, and brave civic leaders who have fought and even died for freedom.


I thank goodness for school teachers, nurses, physicians, business leaders, and factory workers who have led us to increased liberty.
 
I thank goodness for courageous broadcasters, journalists, and newspaper editors.


I thank goodness for brave Judges.

I  thank goodness for suffragettes and feminists. And for the gay and lesbian citizens who refused to be silenced.

I thank goodness for remarkable and wise historians and authors.

I give thanks for the scientists whose quest for knowledge is also a quest for wisdom.

Finally I give thanks  this 4th July for the semi-anonymous old widows, and the brash young students who love liberty more than life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"