Prayer at Resurrection House


Wednesday mornings see me at Resurrection House ( the day shelter for homeless people here in SRQ ) to lead a prayer service.  I keep it very simple, and I never preach. Homeless people are “preached at” all too often.


We start with a bit of scripture, usually a verse, or half a verse.  We say it out loud four times, then we have a couple of minutes of silence during which meditate on the verse.  Folks then come to the altar, and light a candle, with silent or spoken prayer.  We end with the Lord’s Prayer, the Hail Mary, and a blessing.

The group was very weepy today.  There was so much sadness. Two worshipers were mourning the recent deaths of their respective parent; another had just received the news that her cancer is un-treatable.  A very wise homeless man gently hugged a young man whose mental illness was causing him, to be very restless and afraid.   

I say very little.  I smile a lot.  I utter loud “Baptist” Amens as my friends pray.  I leave always with a “cup” half filled with sadness and half-filled with joy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"