Trapped

Years ago I spent a couple of days and nights at a camp site near Bristol, UK.  It is known as Goblin Combe.

I slept in a cabin on a bunk bed.  The cabin was windowless.  After dark there was not the slightest glimmer of light.  I hated it.  I was totally unnerved by the absence of light.

What's more, I was in a sleeping bag.  My feet were trapped at the lower end of the bag.  This was unbearable - I wanted my feet to be free.

Even now, whether at home, or in an hotel, or at the home of a friend, I need my feet to be free from sheets, blankets or quilts.   The first thing I do when staying overnight with friends, or sleeping in an hotel is to "un-tuck" the top sheet and blankets so that my feet will not be trapped.  Should I have to use a sleeping bag I unzip it and use it as a cover, knowing that I will be unable to sleep should my feet be constrained within the bag.

When I was a seminarian (1972-1976) I took a  field trip with my year group  down a coal mine in Derbyshire, U.K.  No one was more glad than I when we re-surfaced some three hours after our descent.

The whole thought of being trapped in total darkness and underground terrifies me. I could not bear it for more than a few hours.


So it is that I am in  awe of the miners who have been trapped in darkness,  more than a mile underground, and for 67 + days,  in Chile.  They have displayed a strength of purpose and character which amazes and astounds me.  I rejoice in their rescues.







 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"