Collateral Damage

(Resurrection House is a day shelter for homeless people here in Sarasota.  I am the chaplain there.)

 

He sat next to me at the prayer service at Resurrection House this morning. 

He was a big man, probably in his fifties.

 

As we prayed he began to sob.  I placed my left hand on his shoulder.  He spoke through his tears.  “Can I ever be forgiven?” was his repeated question.

 

He had been a helicopter pilot in the U.S.A.F during the Vietnam War.  

His brother had been drafted, so he volunteered so that his brother would not have to serve.  (There was a policy not to have two people from the same family serving at the same time). 

 

“Can I ever be forgiven?”    He was haunted by the knowledge that his military actions had caused the deaths of young Vietnamese children. “I killed young innocent children” was his cry.

 

I listened carefully, and I assured him that he had already been forgiven.  I expressed the hope that he would meet those children in “heaven” and be able to tell them that he was sorry.  I encouraged him to get into a Vietnam era support group through the V.A.

 

I felt wimpy and inadequate as I ministered to this man.  The best I could do was to listen.

 

Strange isn’t it, that after I had written just the other day about “collateral damage” in Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya, I was led to experience the American side of collateral damage today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"