Back again!

I was the rector at four parishes in the episcopal church between July 1976 and June 2006.  That means that I fretted and fussed about the services for thirty maundy thursdays, thirty good fridays, and thirty easter days.

It is good that I fretted and fussed, for my goal was to help enable the very best which was possible in liturgy, music and preaching, in four very different parishes.

I wanted the very best in liturgy, music and preaching.  

I am not so sure that I wanted the very best for G-d’s people who worshipped in those congregations. 

I wonder if I was so concerned with “getting things right” that I lost sight as to the reasons for getting it right – i.e. the praise of G-d and the edification (building up in faith) of G-d’s beloved people in those congregations.

My questions must await the judgement of G-d.

Now, in retirement, I’ve had five maundy thursdays, good fridays and easter days as a retiree.  

Someone else had to fret and fuss about these services.

With that in mind I was at my parish for the simpler services of the season: -  10:00 a.m. on maundy thursday (at which I preached), 7:00 a.m on good friday, and 7:45 a.m. this morning (easter day).

Not everything was to my liking, but that did not matter.  My job was to relax and pray. 

I was able to do that (though not perfectly!)

My beloved Rector will retire on May 15th.  He is a good and holy man. 

He is also as much a fretter and fusser as I ever was!

I pray that within a year or two he will be able to simply relax and pray on our holy days.  It’s been good for me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"