Voyeurs or participants (2)

Some 25 years ago I took a vacation in Hawaii.  I spent some time on Oahu, and some on Maui.  I also took a plane trip which flew us over most of the Hawaiian Islands, and included a superb view of “Madame Pele” -  an active volcano on “The Big Island”.

Hawaii was O.K. in its own way, but it was no place for a single and gay man.  Most of the other holiday makers were heterosexuals who were newly engaged, newly married, or celebrating a wedding anniversary.

On one night I took a “Sunset Cruise” out of Maui.

Tight-assed or obsessive as I am, I was one of the first to board. I took a seat on a bench on the starboard side of the boat.

I was soon joined by two couples.  It was apparent that they were mother and father plus son and daughter-in-law, or daughter and son in law.

The younger male sat to my immediate left, with the other members of the family to his left.  He half turned away from me -  his body language indicating “don’t talk to us”.

Off we sailed with canned music spewing out of the cabin, and a more than abundant supply of “free” mai tais.

Other passengers would from time to time go to the prow of the boat, take a photo’ of the setting sun an immediately return to their seats and drinks. “Hmmm” I thought, “they are here to get a photo’ of the sunset, not to enjoy it”.

I took my turn at the prow and, leaning against the mast, I savoured every moment of beauty as the sun “sank into the ocean”.

On returning to my seat the younger man addressed me for the first time. “Are you a priest?” he asked.    It seemed to be an odd question since I bore no identifying clothing or insignia.  I granted  him “yes I am a priest”.

He immediately turned back o his family as said “I told you so, I told you so.  I knew he was a priest”.  And he and they never spoke to me again!

Comments

  1. LOL!!! How random!! I wonder how he knew? You just exude "priestliness," I suppose??

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"