Why in the world did I move to Florida? (2)


Why in the world did I move to Florida? 

Humans with fair skin, red hair, and blue eyes (that’s me) are particularly vulnerable to “Actinic Keratoses” - (rough edged, dry, scaly patches on the skin).  Actinic Keratoses”  are the most common precursor in the development of skin cancer.

Back in Massachusetts I would see a Dermatologist about once a year. Upon moving to Florida I upped this frequency to twice a year, and after nearly five and a half years in the sun, I now get checked out three times a year.  

How foolish I was to move here!  Folks with my genetic heritage should live in Sweden or Norway ... now there’s a thought!

When I saw my Dermatologist last Monday my face and neck were fairly well beaten up.  Come to think of it, this probably happened because I was involved in a lot of out of doors activities when my brother and nephew visited in late May/early June.

But don’t blame them.  I was the one who was careless about covering up and using sun screen.

So now I am lined up for “Photodynamic Blue Light Therapy” -  the latest and reputed most efficacious treatment.  Next Wednesday I’ll trek to my Doctor’s office where the damaged places on my face and neck will be dabbed with a medication called Levulan.  There’ll then be a break of between one and three hours -  the estimated time it takes for the damaged cells to absorb the solution.

Next -  (and the precision here cracks me up) I will sit under a blue-light machine for exactly sixteen minutes and forty seconds.  (How did they figure that time out).

Treatment over I’ll be allowed to drive home (wearing a broad brimmed hat and a scarf) -  but then I cannot go outside, sit by a window or sit under bright indoor lighting for the next 48 hours.  

That’ll be test of my resolve.

Penne will go to her dog sitter for those two days  (shush – don’t breath a word -  I haven’t told her about this!), whilst I lay low. 

I am to preach on the following Sunday, so I’ll have plenty of home time for sermon prep.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"