Sex, Crows, Herons, Raccoons. Life is never dull in SW Florida

1. There was high drama just outside my lanai this afternoon (30th March 2012).

I am not sure if I was witnessing copulation or grievous bodily harm. What I saw was one crow who was pinning another crow to the ground.

Was the dominant crow a male and the submissive a female?   Were they ensuring the evolution of their species?

Or were they two males in a fight for dominance:  their part of the survival of the fittest?

I’ll never know, for neither of the crows spoke English, and I do not speak Crow.

What I do know is that within seconds a whole gang of crows came to witness this.  They cawed with great energy and enthusiasm.

I came to the conclusion that these spectator crows were either like:
(a) The audience in a gladiatorial fights in ancient Rome or
(b) Dirty old men at a strip club

I am embarrassed to tell you that my junior cat Adelaide was enthralled by this performance.   She watched every moment, she chattered with glee, and I know that she longed to be “let out” to mix it up with the crows. Adelaide is a voyeur cat!

2. Later in the day as I walked around the pond with Penne I heard the screeches of a Great Blue Heron.  Believe it or not this massive heron was being harassed by two crows. Large as it was, the heron took refuge under a shrub.  The crows flew away (probably to have sex in an undisclosed location!)

3. In that same mid-afternoon walk, as Penne and I rounded a bend I was momentarily startled.  There before us was a Racoon.  This was not good.  Racoons are nocturnal animals.  The ones who venture out in daylight are often rabid.

I “jumped”, Penne strained at her leash, the Racoon ran away and climbed a nearby tree.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I found all this to be much more exciting than “Reality T.V.”

Maybe I am too easily amused!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"