Connections


Back in 1976 when I came to live in the United States all my ‘phone calls to England were via the operator.

Indeed, I had to “book” operator calls at Christmastide.

 I would call ATT&T a few weeks before Christmas Day, and ATT&T would assign me a time and day for my Christmas ‘phone call to my family.

Then came direct dialing, which , in its day, was a huge and welcome technological advance.

But “direct dialling” was nothing in comparison with today’s links.

Thanks to Skype I have had three recent and inexpensive conversations:  with my friends Joe and Deanne R in Granby, MA; with my friend Joe S in London, and with my good sister Maureen on her birthday.  Oh such joy when these connections are so simple.

Skype also enables me to have frequent conversations with my youngest and favourite brother Martyn.

And thanks to Facebook I am in touch with three of my cousins (Janet, Chris, and Kippy), and with a handful of my nieces and nephews.

Indeed, I am more connected with these good nieces and nephews than I ever could have imagined.
(I have eight siblings, and nineteen nieces/nephews.)

These connections are more than important. They are VITAL
.
I suppose that this is why I long for heaven – a state of being in which all of these connections find their perfection.

I am not so sure about the reality of heaven, (maybe yes, maybe no).

But whether or not there is a heaven I am grateful for this deep ninstinct to connect.

It's what makes us human.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"