A day without my brother Martyn.


With brother Martyn out of town the plan for the morning was for Toby and Sam to kayak (is it O.K. to use “kayak” as a verb?) in our SRQ marina area.

We arrived at the rental hut at 11: 40.  The hours of business were displayed as 11:00ish to 5:00ish.

The owner/manager arrived at 11:50.  He ignored us as he opened up the hut, drank coffee, watered some potted plants, and made phone calls.

At 12:05 I asked him if he was open for business.  He said “I have been here for 15 minutes”. I replied “we have been waiting for 25 minutes”.

This brilliant business man then told me that we were sitting in the wrong place and that we should have been standing next to his hut in order to do business.

I protested very mildly to which he replied “if you don’t like the way I do business you can leave”.

We left.

As a mild consolation prize I told the lads that we could eat at K.F.C or Burger King (even though both places represent a grievous offence to my digestive system).  They chose KFC.  We drove four miles to discover that that particular KFC joint had been shuttered.

So it had to be Burger King.  The lads scoffed chicken strips and fries.  I chose a fish sandwich -  but was distinctly unimpressed with it.

But the good lads enjoyed their meal, and then told me that they wanted no more than to return to my home to “chill”.  It’s good to have teen aged guests who do not need to be entertained.

Good lads!

LATER in the afternoon

I drove Sam and Toby to teen aged heaven “The Mall”, and then I went to a meeting at St. Boniface Church.

After that meeting I returned to the home of my pal Ben, there to relax with him and with our mutual friend Bob, leaving the lads to use a ‘bus to get back home (there’s a novel concept for you).

After their shopping expedition the lads took the ‘bus from the Mall to Ben’s home. They were proud of their purchases

Before I reviewed what they had bought thy splashed around in Ben’s pool for half an hour. They were filled with fun and joy.

Now, at 7:20 p.m. they have taken themselves off to walk to our local supermarket (Lord alone knows what they want to purchase) whilst I am cooking a simple dinner.

MY POINT IS THIS: These are impressive and undemanding young men (both are 16 years old).

I am entirely happy to have them as guests. They “win friends and influence people” wherever they are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"