Life without a car


I have now been a week without a car.

Regular readers will know that I borrowed a friend’s car last Sunday to get to my preaching gig, and on Monday  I rented a car for a couple of days to get down and back to Cape Coral, and to get to medical appointments.

To be car-less leads to careful planning. 

I found this out on Thursday when I again borrowed a car and in the space of 75 minutes I went to a pharmacy, to a hardware store, to the bank, to the post office, to my barber and to the supermarket (how lucky I am that each of these businesses are within a mile of my home)

The supermarket visit entailed a detailed list of the comestibles and beverages I would need for five days.

Wednesday and Friday were the tests.  It felt odd to be never more than ¾ mile from my home - when I walked Penne.

But the days also helped me understand that sometime my quick car trips to the supermarket or to “Target” are rooted in impulse.

For instance, a few weeks ago I got it into my head that I wanted a veggie Pizza for dinner.  Nothing, it seemed, would shake that whim, so I went off driving to “Sweetbay” - and of course whilst I was there I picked up a few other items which leaped off the shelves into my basket.

I took the ‘bus today.  I needed to go downtown to return two books to the library, and I wanted to be there to take a look at the arts and crafts festival, and to mingle with the crowds (and see some friends) at Sarasota’s Pride Fest.

The ‘bus stop is a ten minute walk from my home – a piece of cake! I got there in good time ‘cause our locals ‘buses are more likely to run early than late.  Todays ‘bus was on time, and 15 minutes and $1.25 after boarding I was downtown.

The place was hopping.  I grinned to myself thinking “if I had driven here I never would have found a parking spot”.

I did what I needed to do, saw some good friends at PrideFest, stopped by the St. Boniface Church Table there, got free orange juice courtesy of “Tropicana” – a major sponsor of the Fest, and journeyed back home by ‘bus.

That was all very fine.

My good pal Ben is lending me his car again tomorrow so that I can get to Church, and then to a birthday brunch for my pal the Revd. Jack Chrisman.

What I am discovering is that I could “get by” here in SRQ without a car.

But it would be inconvenient.

I could of course get one of those shopping carts and wheel it down a mile to my favourite supermarket a couple of times a week.  All very well except for in monsoon seasons (May – Nov).

I could walk to the bank, the post office, the pharmacy etc.

I could use the ‘bus to get to my dentist, general practitioner and dermatologist.

The dentist is on my local route ‘bus #6.

 But I’d have to take two ‘buses to get to my G.P. and my dermatologist -  with darned inconvenient waits between ‘bus A and ‘bus B.

It’s next to impossible to get to my Church by ‘bus – so I'd have to rely on others for rides.

 And my social life, slim as it is, would be utterly impossible without a car.

ALL THIS IS TO SAY that I'll be glad to get my car back next Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.

AND

1. I have a new sense of how hard it is to be poor in urban America, or to live in rural America.  We city-living car owners take so much for granted.

2. I have a new sense of “what is to come” when I am older and no longer able to drive.

P.S.  As I walked Penne tonight I encountered my neighbour Jean. She had noticed the absence of my car so she offered transportation should I need it. Cool!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"