Monday, 30 March 2015

My Lunch today: A mess of mussels --- so very good!

My lunch today.


1, A cup or so of sea-food stock.

2, Pearl onions  (frozen, from Birdseye)

3, Celery  (maybe three cups).  If I have too much celery I cut it up, blanch it and then freeze it.  It's then perfectly fit for soups and stews). That's what I used today.

4, Six plum tomatoes, diced into about 1" squares ( much better than the canned ones).

5, Garlic to taste. Salt and pepper to taste.

6. And the crowning glory?  Frozen Mussels from Whole Foods: (they are already cooked and de-shelled).

This  "mess" is simmered in a big pot for about an hour.

Utterly delicious, if I may say so! 


Such was my lunch today, and it will be so tomorrow, and on Thursday.


-----------------------------------------------------------------

But not on Wednesday when my friends Fred and Diana will be at my home for a simple lunch.

I will serve them my version of a sandwich which was one of my favourites at Samel's Deli in Pittsfield MA.

Samel's called it a "New Englander".

1,  Good whole wheat bread. (I use the organic  "Eureka" brand, made in California, and available at the Publix Supermarkets in Florida).

2.  A generous slice of  chicken or turkey breast  (not the packaged kind, but cut from a roasted Turkey or Chicken).  (Supermarket Rotisserie Chicken works well).

3.  A slice of the very best aged cheddar cheese.

3,. A slice of peeled and cored apple ("Granny Smith" apples work well in the absence of the far superior "Bramley" apples which are all but unavailable in these benighted States).

4. I use mustard as the "spread", but butter or mayo also "work",

'Tis a damn good sandwich.

I'll serve it to Fred and Diana with "sides" of good (sliced) tomatoes, a small helping of "Five Bean Salad", and some chips (crisps).

Most importantly -  I'll rejoice in the company of Diana and Fred.

(They were my guests the day after I adopted Penne, six years ago.  So, apart from me, they are Penne's oldest friends!).

No comments:

Post a Comment