Have I joined a food trend? (Smoothies).

Do you remember the food trends of recent years?

There was the "sun-dried tomatoes" phase.  Every darn dish had to include them.

Then the popular culture moved to "roasted vegetables" as the thing to eat.  (That  may be a keeper.)

I must also mention kale and quinoa as trendy foods.

I prefer not to mention the days of sickly-sweet cupcakes as the food du jour, but they too had their day.  The middle-class American world and her husband  were convinced that cupcakes would save civilization. (There is still a ghastly "reality" show on the "Food Channel" which has something to do with making 1,000 cupcakes).

"Starbucks", that overpriced haven for the in-crowd is now pushing "frappuccinos" as the thing to drink.  Starbucks knows nothing.  We had frappes in New England long before Starbucks was a gleam in its father's eyes.

And now there are "smoothies". 

"Smoothies" are trending, (or were trending yesterday).

Intelligence has it that many of them are over-burdened with sugar  (now that's an all-American essential ingredient).

But I ask myself  (and you): "Have I joined a food trend?"

For you see, I bought a "Tuscan Cantaloupe" the other day.  It is ripe, sweet, and ultra juicy.

I took some of this (de-seeded and de-skinned) cantaloupe  and liquefied it in my blender. I added some Greek Yoghurt.

Oh my goodness it tastes so good.  And I think that it is reasonably high on the healthy food scale.

I ask you:

Did I make an old-fashioned  and by now passé  "smoothie"?, -

or am I the author of a new food trend, i.e. :"Tuscan Cantaloupe and Greek Yoghurt  Health Food",  -  a.k.a. "The Povey way to healthy Mediterranean eating"?

I am certain that you will let me know.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"