Boston Red Sox and El Povo

It's  been a wet and chilly day in SRQ today.

The temps have been at about 58f/13c  (chilly indeed for this part of the world).

We've had light rain for most of the day.

I managed to have three half-mile walks in dry weather with Penne before the 8:00 a.m. service at St. Boniface Church, and another at about 10:15 a.m. after I had shared Holy Communion with a parishioner who resides in a Nursing Home.

Then the rain set in.

Mid afternoon I "knew" that Penne needed a pee walk, despite the light rain.  She will walk with me in rain, knowing that her reward will be great after the walk.  (She goes into ecstasies  when I towel her down).

I wore a water-proof jacket which always hangs on a hook near my front door.  It was a gift from the youth at St. James's Cambridge, MA when I retired in 2006.

I often forget that it is there. But not today!

It's a Boston Red Sox jacket.

Please understand that I have more interest in King Canute of England than I have in American professional "sports".  But also understand that an essential part of my pastoral ministry in Cambridge MA was to feign a devotion to the Sox.

.........................................

One of the youth members at St. James's was beginning to study the Spanish language at his High School when I was the Rector.  He (Sam Bonsey  - who will be getting married this year) (how time flies)  decided that I should be called  "El Povo".

So that was my moniker for the wonderful young Christians at Saint Jimmy's.   SUCH GOOD MEMORIES!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"