New Year's Eve, then and now.

Back in the early 1970's my pals Richard, Eric, (sometimes Jeff), various girl-friends and I would see the New Year in at the Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol. U.K.



We were all very evangelical Christians, very pious, and utterly abstemious. Thus our celebration of the turn of the year was utterly safe.

We would stand on the Bridge until we heard the singing of Auld Lang Syne at the very racy (for us) Grand Spa Hotel



Old photo' of the Hotel's Terrace

then we would walk home.  It was a four mile walk for me.

NICE MEMORIES!

--------------------------------------------------

In 2015 I visited with my friend Betty at 5:00 p.m. on Christmas Eve  I was at home by 6:30 p.m,, and in bed two hour later.  When I woke up at 4:30 the next morning, it was already January 1st 2016.

NICE SLEEP!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sans any other pressing engagements on New Year's Day 2016 I engaged in a cleaning spree. (Cleaning up the much from 2015 eh?).

I washed the 36" x 36" curtains in my guest bathroom (for the first time since 2012!) when my brother Martyn visited. (Since I never use this bathroom I do not pay it much attention!).

One of the two curtains "fell apart" in the washing machine!   Oh dear!!

I vacuumed and wet-mopped my 29' x 12' Lanai (it's really a screened in and tiled porch).

This cleaning has two phases.  First I move all the furniture to one end of the Lanai, and clean the other end.

Then I move all the furniture back to the end I have cleaned, and clean what is now the "other end".

I can scarcely bear the excitement of this.   On the other hand, I had not vacuumed and wet -mopped the Lanai since early November, just prior to the visit of my two older sisters and their husbands.

"Wanna see a clean Povey House?"   In that case, please arrange for a visit from my U.K. family members.  That'll bring out the Mrs. Bouquet in me!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AND ON THIS QUIET JANUARY 1st 2016  I checked my Sarasota County Library book receipts.   I was pleased to discover that I'd read 48 books in 2015.  Beats Television!

My favourite was http://www.amazon.com/Citizens-London-Americans-Britain-Darkest/dp/0812979354

I recommend it highly.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"