The rest of yesterday's tale (a black woman electrician etc)

The keyboard on my computer went a bit wonky yesterday, so I was unable to tell the whole tale.

Here it is

FIRST re  the image of a black woman as an electrician.

I did a Google Images search for "Electrician", and every darn picture was of a male.

So I had to do a second search for "Woman Electrician" and that's where the image popped up.

Isn't it true that when we think of "Electrician"  we inevitable "see" the image of a white male in blue jeans?

The image I posted was intended to make us reflect on our (unconscious) prejudices.


SECOND

The Master Electrician and his apprentice refused to go home at my suggestion, when, at 7:30 ish the light was poor and the weather was atrocious.   The Electrician (Jacob) said  "I never go home until the customer's power is restored." 

I sloughed off to bed and began to sleep.   I was awakened by a tap on my bedroom door.  Jacob said  "you have full power, and we are leaving".

I asked "what is the time?".

Jacob  replied "11:30 p.m."

Oh my goodness.  The two men worked until that late hour to ensure that my home had electrical power  (and air-conditioning). That's amazing.  They had begun their work at about Noon.

Sarasota and Manatee County residents are probably familiar with the bright red vans of a Manatee County Electrical firm called "Mr. Spa..y"

This was the Company which served me so well yesterday.


And here, for your joy and delight is a pic of my new breaker box.  *Now you can sleep well!!





The "guys" will be back next week to label each breaker switch.



yees





Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"