Back to my spiritual (Christian) roots in these angry days.


Oh there is so much anger, hatred, dis-information, bitterness and violent speech in the run up to the American General Election.

I am tempted to despair and anger as I read the news, or follow the postings from supporters of both candidates on Facebook.

The "social media" can bring out the best in us (but often with sentimental prose, or "cute" videos of dogs and cats).

The "social media" also manifests intense hatreds,lies, and destructive speech.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This afternoon as I was well  on the way to wallowing in despair, fear, and overwhelming sadness I was reminded that my primary call is to follow Jesus Christ.  My mind went to this text by John Bell and Graham Maule of the Iona Community.



The Summons

John L. Bell & Graham Maule

Will you come and follow me if I but call your name?
Will you go where you don't know and never be the same?
Will you let my love be shown? Will you let my name be known,
will you let my life be grown in you and you in me?

Will you leave yourself behind if I but call your name?
Will you care for cruel and kind and never be the same?
Will you risk the hostile stare should your life attract or scare?
Will you let me answer prayer in you and you in me?

Will you let the blinded see if I but call your name?
Will you set the prisoners free and never be the same?
Will you kiss the leper clean and do such as this unseen,
and admit to what I mean in you and you in me?

Will you love the "you" you hide if I but call your name?
Will you quell the fear inside and never be the same?
Will you use the faith you've found to reshape the world around,
through my sight and touch and sound in you and you in me?

Lord your summons echoes true when you but call my name.
Let me turn and follow you and never be the same.
In Your company I'll go where Your love and footsteps show.
Thus I'll move and live and grow in you and you in me.

The text and tune are soul-sustaining.  Please relax as you allow "The Summons" (see below) to nurture and sustain your soul.




https://youtu.be/GHEjyGfRO7s

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"