Wisdom from a man whose last name I forget.

His first name was Bill.

I met him at a retreat center called Kirkridge in  Pennsylvania  back in ?.

Was it in 1991, or 1995, I cannot even remember the year.

I know that the month was January for every year in that  month Kirkridge hosted a retreat for Christian gay men.

Bill was from Chicago.  He was a delightful man  (and of course I had a crush on him).

It was a safe crush because he had a boyfriend back in Illinois -  a relationship which I respected.

But we stayed in touch by 'phone.

I remember one call in which I laid out all my frustrations at being an Episcopal Rector in Pittsfield. MA.

Bill cut to the quick.  He said "Remember Michael that you are a human being, not a human doing".

Good Lord above, I needed that!


After this when I had not heard from Bill in a while I called him. The 'phone was answered by an unfamiliar voice.

I asked to speak to Bill.  The response was silence until the person at the other end asked "and who are you?"  (It was Bill's partner).

I explained who I was.  Fortunately Bill had talked to him about me.

Then came the bitter blow.    This good man Bill had been killed in a car accident on a Christmas Eve, when his car had hit a patch of ice.

I wept buckets. His bereaved partner wept too.

Dear Ann P. of Pittsfield MA will  remember that I made a late night 'phone call to her and blubbered away on the 'phone, knowing that she had a good and non-judgmental ear.  (Thank you Ann).

All these years later I am sad that I cannot remember Bill's last name.    I am sad that I have lost the only photo' of Bill which I once had. I can see him in my mind's eye.

Even as I write I have tears in my eyes.

Even as I write I am grateful for Bill's wisdom, and for Ann's listening ear.

He said  "Remember Michael that you are a human being, not a human doing". Good Lord above, I needed that!













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"