In doing the right thing I did the wrong thing.

On returning home yesterday afternoon at about 4:30 I was greeted by a very agitated neighbour
D-wn C,

"Michael", she said, "my house if full of smoke, and my thing is beeping, and I don't know what to do".

Here I did the wrong thing, I went into the house.  That could have been dangerous.

Of course I called 911.   The dispatcher asked me a series of questions.  It seems to me that this is necessary in the light of various hoax or prank calls.  And it was important for the fire-fighters to know if anyone was still in the house, and/or if anyone was injured,

The SCFD  was on its way in a matter of 45 seconds. The nearest firehouse is just over a mile away, and we could hear the sirens all the way up Circus Boulevard,

In turns out that D-awn had overcooked some food in her microwave, No harm was done (except to the food!).

D-awn is, to put it nicely, quite fuzzy around the edges, so I was glad to have arrived home just as her crisis began.

And to put it strongly, the firefighters were utterly splendid not only in their response to a possible fire, but in their tender and gracious service to D-awn. They soon had a huge fan in place to blow smoke out of her unit.

The Battalion Chief happened to be in the scene, so I was able to shake his hand and thank him for the response of his team.

Two other notes:

(1) It's clear to many of her neighbours that D-wn should not be living alone.  Now, if only we could convince her one and only son that this is the case,

(2) My unit is at one and of a triplex, D-wns at the other end,  And there is no firewall between the units.  In a worse case secnario all three could be in a blazing inferno in a matter of minutes,  That gives me pause for thought in the middle of the night.

Stock photo'  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"