Raise your glass to the great Diane Rhem

I first encountered the Diane Rehm show on New Hampshire Public Radio when I was driving to Dartmouth in that State.

At first I thought her speaking voice to be a bit odd, but when I discovered the reason for its idiosyncratic cadences I began to admire and respect her courage and determination as a broadcaster, (See link below).

My local stations in Pittsfield  (WAMC) and Cambridge (WBUR) were too high and mighty to air the Diane Rehm Show, so it was not until I moved to Sarasota that listening to it became a very important part of my weekday mornings, as I tuned into WUSF.

Diane's  programme has two distinct and discrete live broadcasting hours, one from 10:00 - 11:00, the other from 11:00 to Noon.  Her topics are eclectic and broad, her guests include people with a wide range of interests and political views,

What I have most liked about Diane is that she has never failed to name horse-sh-t as horse-sh-t. She has never let her guests get away with half-truths, evasions and pomposity.  To be on her show is to have your feet held to the fire.

I add that Ms. Rehm is never unprepared,  Her pre-show research is formidable, aided by (I think) an all female staff.  Way to go!

After thirty seven years of broadcasting,, her final two hours will be tomorrow, December 23rd.  I will be glued to the radio between 10:00 and Noon.

Together with millions of other Americans I will believe that I am saying au revoir to a dear and trusted friend.  I have often had the fantasy that I could sit down for dinner with Diane Rehm in a fine Washington D.C. restaurant; that I would learn so much from her; and that she would be interested in my life.

Hail and farewell Diane Rehm.  You have enriched my life in so many important ways.  Thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S.  I cannot end without bragging that Diane Rehm is a proud and devoted Episcopalian, YEAH!




President Obama awards the 2013 National Humanities Medal to radio host Diane Rehm during a ceremony in the White House, Monday, July 28, 2014.   (AP Photo/Charles Dharapak)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


SEE THIS FOR MORE ABOUT DIANE REHM

http://thedianerehmshow.org/about/host

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"