Adapting a recipe from a Trader Joe's Product. YUM



My family, friends  (and some enemies!) know that I am a fan of Trader Joe's.  In fact I have come to believe that T'J's is more or less a comestible cult. The store evokes deep devotion.

Their grain medley  (above)  is great as a side or a main dish.

Maybe it's a wee bit pricey at $3.49 for eight ounces.


I decided to make by own version -  and you can do it too.


I cooked equal amounts of wild rice, barley, and quiona.  I omitted the wheat-berries 'cause  I did not have any in my pantry.

('Tis a bit time consuming since the rice, barley and quiona have different cooking times, so  they cannot be merged before cooking),

Once I had cooked the grains I mixed them in a big bowl, cooled them in the fridge, and then added dried cranberries, slivered almonds, and the juice of two lemons.

Oh so good!  Nearly as good as the T.J's original  -  and less expensive.

I ate some for dinner tonight with (waste not, want not) some excellent stir fried vegetables and tofu which I brought home in a "doggy bag"  from P.F. Chang/'s on Friday night.

Great for a cold evening meal on a warm day.






You can do it too!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"