A cautionary tale, and other matters.


















Two friends of mine bought a new "brand name" lap top from a reputable retailer last week.

As one of them was setting up the computer and downloading Widows 10 the screen froze.  A "Microsoft" message appeared, complete with a 'phone #.

He called that 'phone # and was told that it would cost $200 to right the error.  What's more, he was told that his Credit Card could not be verified, and that he should fax a copy of a personal cheque for $200.

This he did and the cheque was instantaneously cashed.

Then he realised that he had been "had", A call to the genuine Microsoft revealed that  this brand new computer, made in Ch,,a had been loaded with pirated Microsoft software, and a Trojan Horse scam which had relieved him of $200.

Fortunately when he reported this scan as fraudulent to his bank they played ball, so it is unlikely that he will be out of pocket.

So, you can buy a new computer, only to discover that the software has been pirated.

Caveat Emptor.

--------------------------------------------------

P.S. 1,  My friend is a smart lawyer, but I can fully understand how he fell into this trap, We all are in danger of trusting our computers too much.

P.S. 2, Who could have believed that the Ch..ese could not be trusted!

P.S. 3,  I got  a Skype message from my nephew Dave T this morning.  It urged me open a link. I didn't trust it.  My caution was wise.  Dave told me that he had not sent such a message.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bleeding  My very small wound continued to seep through the night.,  I had to launder my sheets this morning.  I will ask my Heart Doctor if I can reduce my blood thinner meds. from two a day to one a day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------

My impoverished  nouveau pauvre (? sp)  neighbours.

Their situation is grim.  I took them some  Quiche, and Cherry Pie on Sunday.

The mother sent me a nice ":thank you" text,
 sad
I saw the son today.  He averred that they had no food in their home, and that the quiche and pie had saved their day.

Then he told me that by Thursday their problems would be solved because  they would receive millions and millions of  dollars from a game they had won.

His illness was speaking,  How very sad,

If I had millions of dollars I would not share them with this hapless mother  and son.

I do not have those dollars, but I will try to make sure that they have food on their table.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"