Roosevelt. How many Americans know this?

Field of Roses/Roosevelt





Having just waded my way through a a comprehensive biography of Alexander Hamilton (see my earlier blog) at

http://jmichaelpovey-retiredpoveinsarasota.blogspot.com/2017/08/its-big-book.html

I am now enjoying a biography (published in 1992 and written by Nathan Miller) of President Theodore Roosevelt.

Published by Quill//William Morrow1992
I'll bore you later with details of the book, but for now here is a bit of trivia.

The surname Roosevelt is Dutch by origin,  It arises from the town/area from which the family grew.

Roosevelt, and its alternative spellings,  means (in English)  FIELD OF ROSES.

Makes sense n'est pas?

But I wager that many Brits, Americans, and Europeans (apart from the Dutch) have never made this connection.


(I saw my Dutch/South African friend Pal Van D. this afternoon and he confirmed the meaning/origin of the Roosevelt name/)







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"