Getting ready for Irma

xico
Hurricane Irma  (the most massive and dangerous storm in the Atlantic since Hurricane Tracking has been possible).  Where is it heading?

First of all spare a thought or prayer for the people of Puerto Rico U.S.A. which is very likely to be hit. Puerto Rico is a entirely  impoverished "U.S.A. Commonwealth" which is all but bankrupt; an Island where the infrastructure has not been well maintained  (no money);  and the power grid is "iffy" to say the least.

Secondly the National Hurricane Center is wisely agnostic as to when and where  Irma could hit the mainland U.S.A.

Will it veer north and east into the Atlantic?  That's the best hope for Floridians, but it could be tough on the Bahamas and Bermuda.

Will it travel up the east coast of the U.S.A,?  Goodish for those of us who live on the Gulf Coast (the west coast), but ghastly for eastern Florida coastal communities, and for the coasts of Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware - and points north.

Will it enter the Gulf of Mexico and then travel north up Florida's Gulf (west) coast?  In that case I will be in deep doo-doo! as will be Florida's panhandle.

Will it enter the Gulf and then magically dissipate? That would be nice!

Will it enter the Gulf and then head west to coastal Louisiana and Texas.  That would be horrible.

But  the National Hurricane Center is wisely agnostic as to when and where  Irma could hit the mainland U.S.A.

That wisdom has precipitated my preparation.

1.  I will not evacuate.

Firstly,  I could not abandon my cat.

Secondly, where and how  would I travel?

Not withstanding Adelaide the cat, it's too late to buy an air ticket at highly inflated prices.

I cannot bear the thought of driving north on I-75 which c

ould become a nose to tail parking lot, with longer that ever lines at gas stations.

2.  I will keep safe.  I will not go outside in the thick of the storm, nor will I drive on flooded roads.

3. I have made preparations for the worst.case.


I bought 8 gallons of bottled water yesterday for drinking and cooking.

I will fill my bathtub with water (essential for flushing the toilet if running water is unavailable). 

I have an emergency box in which I have a Coleman Camping Stove and a Coleman Camping Lantern; a working battery radio; a head-worn "Miner's Lamp"  (useful in the event that I need both hands for some task in the midst of a storm); candles, matches,  a trigger lighter; and some real dollars.  Every emergency item is working,

I bought supplies of wet  cat food for Adelaide, and enough  canned food to sustain me for the possible duration whether eaten cold or hot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the meantime I'll live a more or less normal life in the next few days including lunch with my dear friends Jack and Donna Chrisman on Wednesday.

Pray with me if you will


"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change"




P.S.  In case you are worried, be assured that I have ample supplies of red wine. 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"