Lunch and the melancholy and beautiful sound of "Taps"

I was the guest of Melba H-K for lunch at Marina Jacks today with her husband Carl, and Carl's caregiver Imani.

It was good to eat alfresco with nice views of the Marina and SRQ's famous dolphin fountain.


Sarasota Marina


Marina Jacks from Bayfront Park

Dolphin Sculpture

========================================================================
I ate the


Bunless “Bleu Cheese” Burger .................................................................................................Ten Ounce Certified Angus Ground Beef Patty Topped with Bleu Cheese and Sautéed Mushrooms, Served over our Marina Jack Harbor Salad. Seasonal Fresh Fruit (very little fruit on my salad!)

It was good, but as I often think about Marina Jacks food, it could have been better. Since MJ's has a near monopoly on bay front dining in SRQ maybe they do not have to try that hard.  

And I was in touch with my pet gripe! Why are portions in so many SRQ (and American restaurants in general) so huge!  It pains me to see so very much wastage as uneaten food is removed from the Tables.  I could not manage all of my salad!  It's time to launch a crusade for smaller portions.

The Britannia Dining Room on the Q.M. 2 Liner served four course dinners.  But each course was small enough to be so delicious that most plates were eaten clean.

Ooops! I was at Marina Jacks today, not on the QM 2.

All that having been said I am grateful to Melba for her gracious hospitality, and for the pleasure of good company for lunch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


 As I walked back to my car I heard the clear and unmistakable sound of "Taps" I paused to listen.

I can only imagine that there was a Military ceremony somewhere in the Marina, prior to a burial at sea.

So lovely.  So heart-jerking. So solemn.

TAPS

https://youtu.be/Bfe4TxvUOiw

AND THERE IS THIS IN THE U.K. and other British Commonwealth Countries.


https://youtu.be/I2FKGwZ9oMs







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"