Salmagundi




1.  NPR news reported today that "An American woman has won the (women's section) New York Marathon for the first time in forty years"

I find this sentence  to be very ambiguous, and unclear.  Has this good woman been trying to win the race for Forty Years?

How would you re-phrase this NPR statement?


2.  Goodwill of Manasota (Manatee and Sarasota Counties) in S.W Florida has a few excellent used book stores.  The one on Clark Rd and Derek Ave in Sarasota County is particularly  well organised. I was there this afternoon and bought a couple of paper backs for the princely sum of $7.

One is by famed Boston Globe writer James Carroll about his relationship with his father "An American Requiem: "God,My Father, and the War (Vietnam) that Came Between Us".

The other is by famed Author Bill Bryson (Notes from a Small Island etc) about his upbringing in Des Moines IO

Enough reading for a couple of weeks.

3. The inestimably wonderful local handyman David Meyer came to my home today to check the trap underneath my bathroom sink to see if my lower teeth bridge had somehow lodged itself there. NO such luck.  So my good Dentist and his staff will have to make me a new one.

 I am still convinced that some gremlins have been at work in the mystery of my missing bridge! (Tongue in cheek of coiurse),

4. On my drive home last night (Saturday)  after dinner with my dear and blessed friends Ron and Char I tuned into our local classical music station WSMR.  I heard the last movement of Beethoven's Symphony #5.

What joy. What bliss.

I know this music so well, yet I was still enchanted, challenged,  and energized  by Beethoven's skill.

It was like being with and old and trusted friend., a friend  about who I know so much, and yet know so very little.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"