When "texting" solves a problem.



When it comes to communications I am still a bit antediluvian I use e-mail far more than texting.

Unlike my younger family members who invariably text rather than-mail I do not have hyperactive thumbs (the stylus on the smart phone helps me a lot!), and I do not know many of the short cuts( it took me ages to figure out that lol meant "laughing out loud", not "lots of love".

BUT texting is not just for the young.

I learned on Thursday that texting can be a boon for hard of hearing and deaf folks.

As I was being prepped for my treatments I overheard the fifty something man in the next cubicle.  It turned out that his mother had been designated to drive him home after his procedure.  He said to the Nurse Anesthetist "There is no point in phoning my mother, she is very deaf.  I will text her when you have cleared me to leave".

WOW, texting is a useful tool for the deaf or hard of hearing in any age group.

Now I hope that someone could design an app by which sermons etc could automatically be translated into texts for the benefit of deaf or hard of hearing worshipers, especially those for whom even the best loop system is not good enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"