What breed? (or "For such a time as this")

My best beloved Penne lived with me for nearly ten years.  I cried for three days when she died.




The Humane Society pegged her as a terrier/retriever mix.  But when people asked "what breed is she?" I would reply "she's a darling".

Now I have a new best beloved dog. His name is Zion.



The Humane Society think that he is mostly spaniel.  I am not so sure, but he has the Spaniel "sad eyes".


English Cocker Spaniel












A neighbour suggested "maybe a Brittany Spaniel mix".  Apart from the colouring I think not.


Brittany














The Brittany were once called Brittany Spaniels and were bred to be hunting dogs and companions. Bred mostly for bird hunting they still have that absolute focus on birds today wanting to chase them. It is an energetic dog who takes parts in activities such as pointing, retrieving and hunting. While it might have once been named as a spaniel it is more like a setter or pointer.

My best guess is that there is a lot of Golden Retriever in Zion's DNA.


Golden Retriever.

He certainly has the sweet and gentle disposition for which Goldens are renowned.

It doesn't matter.

In truth, like Penne he is a  "darling".





Zion has come into my life for such a time as this, my time of grief.

His companionship is a blessing.

1) He helps me to understand that life is not  
about me and my needs.

2) Zion reminds me that in the wonder of creation/evolution, canines and humans can form such wonderful inter species partnerships.  




\







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"