An Easter Feast with food to spare


(When my brother Andy and his wife Izzy were here from England last November I ordered a Fresh Market Thanksgiving Dinner.  We found it to be superb.)








So acting on a whim about four weeks ago  I ordered a Fresh Market  Easter Meal for eight.

(Spiral ham, baked beans, macaroni and cheese, coleslaw, bread rolls and dessert cake all for about fifty five bucks for eight people. I could not cook it from scratch for less).

I ordered the meal for eight, but what do do with it?   A chance conversation (was it "chance"?) resulted in eight of us gathering at the home for G and J for this Easter Feast.

I provided the food, G and J set the table.

One of the guests, my friend R dropped a hint about Lamb for Easter.  I took the hint, bought a leg of lamb, and asked him to cook it  (which he did -  very well!).



I insisted that we should eat the lamb with mint sauce rather that with that ghastly fluorescent coloured super sweet American mint jelly  (ugh!)

I made some mint sauce from scratch.


Darn, it was good!

We eight had super table fellowship.  'Twas a fitting feast for Christians, Atheists, and Agnostics.  

We each went home with leftovers.  I shared some leftover ham with three neighbours and I will use the lamb to make Lamb and Barley soup (yum!).

Feasting is a joy, provided that it is not overdone, and provided that as we feast we do not forget the poor who are so beloved by God, and we share with them.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"