I am my own broadcaster. Tune in to WJMP

I have been at this blog "Povey Prattle"  for more than ten years. During that time I have made 3,400 posts. So what!   (see below) 

I have transfered many of the posts to Face book.






A number of years ago one of my brothers ventured that in retirement my blog has become my pulpit.  That may be the case, but like most pulpits it's not done much good.

After all, my post about the Feline Mandolin Orchestra I created had ten times as many likes as all of my religious and political posts put together.

O.K.  There was no Feline Mandolin Orchestra, but you get what I mean.

However my brother was on to something.  As a radio commentator about the social media said a few years ago, we have become our own broadcasters (hence "WJMP").

That commentator was on to something, but I think that the word should have been narrow-casters.

For on Face book we post a bit about the sadnesses in our lives  (my dog died, or my ancient grandmother died), and we are assured of gracious and loving comments.

And we  post a lot about the great successes of our lives (my spouse is amazing and we have a stupendous marriage, or my children are utterly cute and brilliant, or look at our holiday pictures, or can you imagine how wonderful this restaurant with an ocean view is?)

But God forbid that our posts might indicate that married life is difficult, or that we eat out a lot but cannot really afford it, or my tenth grader's life is a mess.

For the name of the game is success, and if you are succeeding then I ought to be matching you in family, personal and social life.

So what!   In my case what do all these posts and page views mean? I am in peril if I interpret these numbers as an indication of my worth as a family member, a human being, a friend, or a Christian. As Canon Ed Rodman of the Diocese of Massachusetts often said to would be Priests "Don't believe your own propaganda".

What I am writing today was inspired by last weekend's NPR radio show "The Hidden Brain"  in which Rachel Leonard talks about how via Face book she became a prisoner of her own making.

If you will,  please take thirty or forty minutes to listen to her powerful tale.


https://www.npr.org/2017/10/27/560293602/radio-replay-prisons-of-our-own-making



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shoe insults

The background, the couple, my friends, the wedding ceremony, the Shaykh, the Priest,

It began in Bristol U.K. "A man dies" and "Jesus Christ Superstar"